Crostata is usually a sweet dessert, but this savory preparation is a delicious and different dinner that disappears each time I make it. I make two of these as my kids are very hearty eaters. Change the onions to 1 teaspoon onion powder if you have picky eaters. Serve with a veggie and salad.
Beef and Cheese Crostata
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 3 - 6
1lb. ground beef
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup prepared brown gravy
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 refrigerated pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Remove pie crust from refrigerator and let come to room temperature before unrolling. Make sure crust is 12-inches in diameter. If not, roll until it measures correctly.
3. Place crust on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Brown ground beef with onions and garlic and drain completely. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir in gravy and spoon onto pie crust, leaving an edge of 1-inch.
6. Fold pie crust just over the edge of the meat mixture and bake for 20 minutes or until crust begins to brown.
7. Add cheese to the top and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into 6 wedges.