Monday, September 18, 2017
Here is another easy meal for busy school nights. One of my favorite uses for ShopRite Certified organic Imported Specialty Pasta is this recipe. It goes together quickly, bakes in one pan and disappears in no time. Pennoni is perfect here because the cheese and sauce get into each piece of pasta and fill them with cheesy goodness.
I love ShopRite Imported San Marzano DOP tomatoes in the sauce for their rich flavor. Add a green salad for a complete meal the whole family will love.
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 whole egg
1/2 pound ShopRite Imported Pennoni pasta
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can ShopRite Imported DOP San Marzano whole tomatoes
4 fresh basil leaves
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt to taste
sugar to taste (about 1 to 2 teaspoons)
1 cup shredded Mozzarella
1 cup grated Parmesan-Romano cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook Penonni until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
3. Combine ricotta and egg. Blend well and add pepper and 3/4 cup of each cheese. Set aside.
4. Cook onion in oil in a small saucepan until translucent. Crush tomatoes and add to onion with basil, garlic, oregano, salt and sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Spray a 2 quart baking dish or casserole with cooking spray and set aside.
6. Combine pasta, sauce and ricotta mixture and blend well. Pour into casserole and top with remaining cheeses.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned on top. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.