Labor Day in the United States marks the last of the "Red, White, and Blue" summer holidays, and these recipes are perfect when entertaining even the most patriotic of people.
Red, White, and Blueberry Lemonade
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour and 10 minutes
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup to 1 cup lemon juice (depending on tastes)
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup starfruit slices (about 2 starfruit)
1 cup fresh sliced strawberries (about 6 large strawberries)
1. Combine 1 cup water, sugar and 1 cup blueberries in a small saucepan.
2. Simmer over low heat, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved and blueberries start
to soften and leach their color.
3. Strain blueberries and cool the sugar water mixture.
4. Combine lemon juice with sugar water and add enough water to make 2 quarts of
5. Serve with the extra cup of blueberries, the starfruit, and strawberries for garnish. You can freeze blueberries as well to help keep drinks cool.
Cheese crackers never looked so good. White cheddar cheese flavors these easy
crackers. A simple paprika oil provides color, and served with the right dip, these are
just the right touch for any Red, White, and Blue party.
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 25 minutes
Serves: 6-8 (2 dozen crackers)
1 stick butter - softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cream together butter and salt.
Add shredded cheese and blend well.
3. Stir in flour with a wooden spoon or hands until a stiff and smooth dough forms.
4. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with a 2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter,
re-rolling dough as needed.
5. Mix together oil and paprika.
6. Set crackers on an ungreased baking sheet and brush half of the crackers with the oil.
Bake for 8-10 minutes being careful not to overbrown.
7. Cool completely and store in an airtight container. Eat within 1 week.
Red ripe tomatoes, creamy white cottage cheese and tangy bleu cheese crumbles
blended with bacon and horseradish make this one delicious dip. Serve with Cheddar Stars.
Red, White and Bleu Cheese Dip
Hands-On Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: 5 minutes
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 cup bleu cheese crumbles
2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 pound pork or turkey bacon - fried crisp and crumbled
1 large tomato - seeded and diced fine
1. Combine all ingredients and chill until serving time.