|Bacon and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes|
Everyone who really knows me knows tomatoes are my absolute favorite food. I mean, when I'm asked the deserted island question about which foods I would want forever if I were stranded, it's tomatoes hands-down.
This is an excellent recipe for those hot and humid no-cook days. No cook? What about the eggs and bacon? Well, if you find yourself making deviled eggs for a picnic or other summertime gathering, set aside a few for other recipes, like this one. Or, with the wonder of modern groceries, you can simply purchase eggs already hard-boiled and be done with it. To that end, you can also buy bacon that is already fried - you just need a few seconds in the microwave to crisp it up and you're ready to go. See how simple that is?
Add other herbs like dill, if you like, and you can play with this in so many ways! There are several different types and flavors of mayo out there these days, and you can add other chopped veggies, as well.
Bacon and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes
Makes 6 tomatoes
6 medium tomatoes
salt and pepper
6 hard boiled eggs-chopped
3/4 c finely diced celery
1/3 c mayonnaise (reduced or fat free is fine)
6 slices turkey bacon (or regular bacon)-cooked and crumbled
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1/2 t Kosher salt
1/4 t large grind pepper
paprika for tops (smoked paprika adds a lovely dimension!)
1. Wash tomatoes thoroughly and dry well.
2. Cut tops from tomatoes; scoop out pulp and seeds, leaving shells intact. Chop tomato pulp only, discarding seeds.
3. Drain tomato shells, and sprinkle inside with salt and pepper.
4. Combine tomato pulp, eggs, celery, mayonnaise, bacon, parsley, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper; stir well.
5. Fill tomato shells with bacon and egg mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
Post a Comment