Saturday, January 16, 2016
Easy Pizza Rolls
It's game day! Playoffs for Superbowl 50 are ON and I needed dinner and football munchies. Here's a kid-pleasing favorite that's also a game day winner and not too hard on the budget. Use store bought pizza dough to streamline prep, but make your own if you have time (see recipe below).
Easy Pizza Rolls
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
2 loaves frozen bread dough or 2 pounds pizza dough - thawed
1/2 pound sliced ham
1/2 pound sliced hard salami
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup jarred or homemade marinara sauce
1. Roll each loaf of dough into a rectangle about 8 inches by 12 inches.
2. Layer ham and salami down the center of each rolled loaf lengthwise.
3. Top meats with 1 cup shredded mozzarella per each roll.
4. Fold short ends of each loaf in about 1/2 inch and seal. Roll from the long sides and pinch well to seal the entire loaf. You should have 2 long rolls.
5. Bake, seam side down on a greased baking sheet in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cut each roll into 8 slices and serve with marinara for dipping.
Easy Pizza Dough
1 package dry yeast (about 1 1/2 Tablespoons)
1 cup lukewarm water (110 degrees F)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1. Sprinkle yeast on water and let sit for 5 minutes in a large bowl. When bubbly, add oil and salt and mix in about half the flour and beat until smooth. Add remaining flour and mix/knead until smooth and not sticky.
2. Let rest for approximately 5 minutes to allow dough to relax so it will stretch more easily.
3. Use as directed in your favorite recipe.