|Pesto-Roasted Vegetable Sandwich|
Who doesn't love a good sandwich? We've been eating sandwiches since the late 1700's and haven't slowed down at all. In fact, there are so many different combinations of sandwiches that it's impossible to catalog them all. I even tried to list as many fillings and breads as I could in my Summer Cooking 101 Part IV; Sandwiches
Whatever your favorite may be, consider adding Mezzetta products
to your next creation. Not only are there so many different and delicious varieties, but the quality is so much better than other jarred condiments that I've purchased.
Another reason to love Mezzetta? The Mezzetta Make That Sandwich Contest. Not only can you make fabulous sandwiches with Mezzetta, you can share your own idea with them for a chance to WIN $25,000! Really!
Check out the sandwich recipes
at the Mezzetta site to whet your appetite and get your creative sandwich juices flowing. Then, CREATE! Once you've created an award-winning sandwich, go back to the site and enter the contest
So, what do I think is an award winning sandwich? This is my creation using Mezzetta quality products that I think is completely delicious and was a winner in my own home.
While I'm an unapologetic meatatarian, I often choose the veggie option for health reasons providing the carb count isn't too high. I thought this would be an excellent combo. Rather than roast the veggies in a bit of olive oil, I tossed them with Mezetta Pesto. Wow. What a difference! My youngest kids got their hands on this and didn't want to let go. The combination of sweet roasted veggies, briny Kalamata olives and garlicky pesto with smooth and tangy Provolone is just perfect. Use a knife and fork or cut into quarters to pick up with your hands.
Pesto-Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
|Mezzetta and the perfect Pesto-Roasted Vegetable Sandwich|
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
1 small zucchini - sliced 1/4" thick
1 small yellow pepper cut into 1/2" strips
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1 small carrot - shredded - about 1/2 cup
2 whole wheat pitas
3 Tablespoons Mezzetta Homemade-Style Basil Pesto; divided
1/4 cup Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Roasted Bell Pepper Strips
2 Tablespoons Mezzetta Sliced Greek Kalamata Olives
2 slices (1 ounce each) Provolone cheese julienned
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Toss zucchini, yellow pepper, red onion and carrot with 1 tablespoon Mezzetta Homemade-Style Basil Pesto. Use your hands! This is the best way to be sure each vegetable slice is coated well.
3. Spread veggies in a single layer on a baking sheet or double-thick aluminum foil. Roast for 35 minutes.
4. Add Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Roasted Bell Pepper Strips to roasting veggies and cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Spread each pita with a Tablespoon of Mezzetta Homemade-Style Basil Pesto. Top with roasted veggies.
6. Turn oven to BROIL.
7. Sprinkle veggie topped pitas with Mezzetta Sliced Greek Kalamata Olives and cheese.
8. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly - about 5 minutes.
*Disclosure: I received Mezzetta products for free. All opinions and views here are my own and are in no way influenced by Mezzetta.