|Asparagus and Leek Quiche|
Quiche is delicious any way you slice it, but spring veggies like leeks and asparagus make it even better. Lightly sauté the asparagus to bring out even more flavor. Change the cheese to anything you like if Swiss is too heavy for your palate, and use green onions in place of the leeks if desired.
Asparagus and Leek Quiche
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 60 minutes
1 pie crust
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups light cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
4 ounces Swiss cheese - shredded
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 leek - split lengthwise and rinsed well to remove sand and grit
8 spears asparagus cut in 4-inch lengths
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Fit pie crust into an 8-inch pie pan and crimp edges. Weight with beans or other pie weights and bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights and set aside.
3. Beat eggs until light and lemon yellow in color. Stir in cream, salt, pepper and cheese.
4. Slice leeks thinly and cook in olive oil over medium heat until limp. Add asparagus and cook for another 5 minutes until spears are crisp-tender.
5. Pour half of the egg mixture into the par-baked crust and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Top baked egg mixture with asparagus spears, fanning them out from the center like the spokes of a wheel. Sprinkle with cooked leeks and top with remaining egg mixture and put back into the oven.
7. Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until top is puffy and set. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.