|Arroz con Pollo|
Chicken and rice is a great staple for dinner, but when it's Arroz con Pollo, it's even better! This version has 3 different olives in it, added before most of the cooking so they soak up all the lovely flavors mingling in this dish. Cooking it with bite-sized chunks of chicken rather than whole pieces speeds the process so this delicious dinner is ready in no time.
Arroz Con Pollo with Three Olives
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 60 minutes
Cost Per Serving: $1.25
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves - minced
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1 large green pepper - diced
1 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into 1-inch cubes
5 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups long-grain rice - uncooked
1 cup frozen peas
2 cans (28 ounces) whole tomatoes - diced and drained well
1/3 cup Spanish olives
1/3 cup ripe black olives - pitted
1/3 cup ripe green olives - pitted
2 teaspoons paprika
1 bay leaf
pinch saffron - optional
1. Heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Saute green peppers until they start to sweat or leach juices. Add garlic and onion and stir.
2. Scoot veggies to the side of the pan making a clear center. Add chicken and cook just until no longer pink.
3. Remove veggies and chicken and stir in stock, rice, peas, tomatoes, olives, paprika and saffron and bay leaf. Add chicken and veggies back in.
4. Lid tightly and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Remove bay leaf, fluff rice and serve.