This was a happy accident I needed to share. Getting food ready for the playoffs this year, I had a few ingredients on-hand that I wanted to whip into something easy to serve. This dip was just the ticket. It was devoured faster than I thought it would be, and it will most certainly be on the menu for the Super Bowl this year (Go Steelers!).
Chicken and Cheese Dip
Makes 2 cups
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 cups water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles - undrained
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a small skillet combine chicken, water, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
2. Cook until chicken is easy to shred, about 45 minutes. If water cooks out, add more, a cup at a time.
3. Remove chicken from water and shred or chop fine. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water. If there is not enough, add water to make 1 cup.
4. Mix chicken with salsa, green chiles, cooking liquid and cheese. Cook over low heat until cheese is completely melted.
5. Serve with corn chips, keep warm or reheat as needed.