Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Royal Foodie Joust Entry: Orange Ginger Chicken Tabbouleh
This month's Royal Foodie Joust brings on 3 ingredients that seem to have left a few people stumped: citrus, ginger and whole grains. Having just written about Tabbouleh at Short Order Mom, I knew right away that I would make a new tabbouleh-with-a-twist, and so I did.
This was really delicious. I love the bright flavors of orange, ginger and mint, and combined they are refreshing and wonderful.
Orange Ginger Chicken Tabbouleh
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cubed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Sea or Kosher salt to taste
1 large orange - zested and juiced*
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons sliced green onion
1/2 cup cracked wheat
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
*If you do not have 3/4 cup orange juice from the freshly squeezed orange, add enough store-bought to make that amount. The zest should amount to 1 tablespoon total.
1. Toss chicken cubes with 1/2 teaspoon of the ginger, 1 tablespoon green onion, pepper, salt and 1/2 cup orange juice. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Pour warm water over cracked wheat and let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Cook chicken in a small amount of oil until no longer pink. Cool completely.
4. Remove cracked wheat from water and squeeze out excess water with hands. Place into a large bowl.
5. Combine 1/4 cup orange juice, orange zest, 1 tablespoon green onion, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and mix well.
6. Toss drained wheat with parsley, mint, cucumber and chicken. Add orange juice mixture and blend well. Salt to taste and chill until ready to serve.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
That sounds like it should be really really tasty. Thanks for sharing!
I love tabbouleh & this sounds so good. This joust had me a little stumped but I think I've come up with something now.
Hi there! I saw your entry on Leftover Queen and thought it looked and sounded delicious! I love tabbouleh and love your twist on it!
Post a Comment