Tomorrow is Ready Set Cook! day and here's the scoop:
1) 3 ingredients will be posted tomorrow morning-they are predetermined
by someone other than myself.
2) Single dish with sauce or single dish and side are acceptable.
Any other ingredients are fine but the 3 listed MUST be in the dish and must be
3) Post your ideas in the comments section and email actual recipes or VERY detailed
instructions for your dish to me at irishones7 at juno dot com.
4) I will post the recipes (or instructions) on Wednesday along with your blogger
If you don't have a blog-that's OK too-just please give me a name to go with your
recipes so I can credit you properly.
That's it! It should be fun, which is the whole purpose. If it all goes well, we may get
into actual contests at a later date, which would be even more fun!
This meme was sent to me by Paula.
5 "weird" things about me;
1) I love ROUND things. I don't know why but I do. It's a very comforting shape to me and
my oldest daughter ribs me constantly about that being the reason I was pregnant 6 times.
2) I can hold and write with a pen/pencil 2 different ways. People have commented on it
my whole life. I'm not really sure why anyone finds it odd but they do so, I thought
I would mention it.
3) I hate shoes, I hate socks, I would go barefoot for life if I could.
4) I do not get postpartum depression, I get postpartum fear of heights. Odd but true.
I even get scared of being on my porch, which is only 3 feet off the ground.
5) I have a severe fear of metal in water-ie: large metal pipes in water, drain holes, etc.
I have never figured that one out. I even hate large pipes that hold water on land.
My grandfather was Superintendent of the water works in Tipton, Indiana and when he would
take us to the "shop" I could barely breathe because there was a room there that had
nothing but large pipes carrying water to and from the area.
OK, my turn is over and I don't have enough friends to beg to do this so, I won't. I also
noticed that the few friends I do have were already tagged by something similar. I need to
widen my circle.
Recipe for today for no particular reason other than it's GOOD.
Mom gave me this recipe which she got from Helene Bozakis, which just means that it's
as authentic as you can get.
Makes one 9x13 pan
12 oz box of phyllo sheets
2 sticks butter-melted
2 lbs. fresh spinach-washed and trimmed
1 large onion finely chopped
3 T olive oil
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1-16oz. container cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons dill
6 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
Brush the pastry sheets with butter and layer 1/2 in a
greased 9x13 pan.
Saute onion in oil until tender. Add spinach and cook
Combine cheeses, herbs, eggs and nutmeg.
Add cheese to spinach and mix-spoon into prepared pan.
Top with remaining pastry sheets and butter the top.
Seal edges and bake at 350F for 45 minutes until golden
Let stand 10-15 min. before cutting. Good served hot